Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Old Couple #5

I just sat there, thoughts swirling in my head, images, feelings, everything is being mixed in one big cauldron and made into one big mushy mess. For a while I lost all my senses, but when everything came back all I can say was, "The old couples house." That's all that came from me.


"Pardon" The man said.

"I know where I passed through the portal. When I entered the old couples house." I said. Maybe it was just a temporary door, maybe it opened by accident.

"Do you mean-"

"Can a portal open suddenly and the close?" I ask cutting him off.

"No, there are rules for that. When a portal is open it stays open for a duration of at least a hundred years. And when a portal closes another one opens somewhere else. As I said before all of the portals can be located within five minutes of their opening and have some guard sent to it right away. Portals always open in remote places, somewhere that is hard to get to. So what's this about an old couples house?" He asked but I wasn't done with the questions. There was one more important question that I needed to ask him.

"Can someone open a portal to the other side?" I asked. Deep inside I wanted the answer to be no, but there was no other explanation for it.

"Yes." He finally said but didn't add anything to it. He knew. "I think we need to talk." He finally added.

"About?" I asked, but I already knew.

"So you think you know where you entered our dimension?" He asked sitting on the chair near my desk.

"Yes, I think it was when I arrived at the old couples house, the Camins, after I did some shopping for them." I said looking out the window directly at the house. He followed my eyes and saw it too.

"It's doesn't look like there is a portal there. Usually the air around the place would be sort of distorted." He said looking back at me.

"I'm pretty sure about it. I mean once I stepped on the first step I felt like my body was going apart, I started to vomit without control, and then I fainted. And I can see you now." There was no other explanation for it. I wanted to find another reason but I always fell short.

"I guess my fears have come true then." He finally said after a moment of thinking.

"What do you mean?" I asked, he sounded pretty serious.

"It means I'm going to need your help solving this mystery and catching the charmers." He said. Then he stood up and motioned for me to follow him.
We walked outside the cabin and walked all the way down to the graveyard that is on the other side of town. It was a long walk but I'm used to it. Our team once got lost in the Amazon jungle and we had to survive without any food or shelter for three days. We hiked for long hours, and the nature of my job demands of me to be fit and ready.

"I'm surprised. You don't look tired at all." He asked when we reached the gate.

"I'm used to it." I said. "You didn't tell me your name."

"Carl Edgar." he said, pretty normal name for a strange man.

"Karl Kenso." I said.

"Hey we have the same first name." he said very excitedly which made him look really weird.

"I guess...." I didn't know how to respond to the statement. "So what are we doing here?" I ask to break the awkward silence.

"There is one portal in this cemetery. It is how I have been entering this dimension." He said.

"Wait why do we need to get to a portal?" I asked.

"Because we need to get you to the other side. There are several
things we need to discuss. And there are two reasons why we can't talk here." He finished.

"And what are the two reasons?" I asked.

"Well, you can't talk to me in front of people because you would look crazy. And secondly there are many spies here and it is very easy for them to hide in this dimension." He finished. We entered the cemetery and we have been walking for ten minutes. We finally reached a catacomb. He clicked some sort of button on top of the door and the door opened. The room was dark it had no windows, and it had nothing but a mirror in it.

"so where is the portal?" I asked.

"The mirror." He simply said.

"Oh." Was all I managed.

"Disappointed?" He asked.

"Yes, yes I am." I said as a matter of fact.

"Well, I guess you have to go first." He said once we approached the mirror.
I stepped close to it without any question and took a long look it. It looked like an ordinary mirror nothing special about it. My curiosity killing me I wanted to know what was on the other side.

"Will this hurt?" I asked thinking back on that morning.

"Only one way to find out." He said.


TO BE CONTINUED....

No comments:

Post a Comment