Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Old Couple. A story By Sara Moadi

Author's Note:
So I have been working on this story for a while now. At first one of my friends asked me to write them a story because they love the stories that I tell (They are mostly folklore). I looked in my journal and I had a couple of drafts in it so I chose The Old Couple because it really caught my eye. So I sat down on my computer, opened my mail, and started writing. I made it a to be continued book where you have to wait for the rest of the story. I think it is more excited and interesting that way.
P.S. The date of the post is going to be off because I want the first post to be on top ^_^

I would like some constructive comments, however, I will not tolerate any rudeness. So please you can tell me what I should change and how to make it better, but do it in a nice way.

So here is the first part of the story, hope you enjoy:

The story did not happen long ago, it is still fresh in my memory. It all happened so fast that I'm surprised I survived to tell the tale. I used to live out in the village where there few people, maybe 40. They were all of old age, none were that young, I found out as soon as I arrived that I was the youngest. My name is Klark and I'm a nature scientist, I came to this village because it contains some of the worlds rarest plants. I intend to study these plants for a duration of about two months and no longer. A nice old couple gave me one of their spare cottages if I help them during my stay take care of a couple like shopping, cleaning, and some other stuff.
It all started on a Tuesday morning, the sky was cloudy, it covered the sun. I woke up feeling a little groggy from last night. I stayed up all night studying a flower that only blooms at night time from midnight to sunrise. So I barely got any sleep, because the next day I had promised to help the old couple (Fran and her husband Greg Camin) do some shopping. So I got up, took a shower, and went to the kitchen and made some coffee. The cottage wasn't that big, it is two floors, and it was only meant for one person to live in it, the max is two. The first floor has a living room, a kitchen and half bathroom. When you go upstairs there is only a master bedroom that has a bathroom in it. It's perfect for my kind of work because the living room is spacious.
After getting ready and fully waking up I headed out. The old couples house is only a walk away from where I live, but I have to walk up a hill. They live at the edge of the mountain range where the town is located. From far away it looks like their house is about to fall off the cliff, however, when you get closer that is not the case. I reach the house and knock on the door and wait. two minutes passes, three, four, five, no one answered. I knocked another time and this time I heard footsteps coming toward the door. After a minute or so the door flung open violently and I saw Mr. Camin standing there with an angry expression on his face.
"Hello Klark. I didn't think you were coming today I saw you watching that plant of yours late at night." He said changing the expression on his face immediately.
"Oh, I', used to going to sleep late at night don't worry about it." I said forcing a smile on my face.
"Well, since you are here why don't you go do some shopping for us?" He said walking back into the house and shuffling some papers that were on a small table to the side of the door.
"Okay, are there any specific places I should go?" I asked. The couple are very particular to where I go and get what they need. Sometimes I go places I haven't noticed before but then again I am rarely in town anyway.
"My wife being so great and productive wrote the stuff that we need and the places where you need to get them from. Now make sure you come early we will have breakfast when you get back." He said and closed the door without allowing me to say thank you.
The couple are a little unusual but life is different here so I don't blame them. When I reached town everyone seemed to be in a grim mood. They stared at me suspiciously like I have committed something. I felt like I was in a horror scene. I reached the first store which was in an ally between the hat store and the flower shop. The door was covered with black paper so no one could see the inside. I opened the door and a strange smell welcomed me. It wasn't pleasant it made me want to gag for a moment but then I was over it. I stood at the door for a moment not sure if I wanted to go in or not but then a women came to the door and greeted me. I stood there gazing at her for a while.
"Are you okay?" She said looking at me with big black eyes. She was tall with long dark hair that has a reddish hew to it, and she was wearing all black clothes.
"Yes, I'm okay. Do you happen to have black wax candles?" I ask acting as normal as I could.
"Your in luck we only have five left. They are in such demand these days." She talked to me as though I was a regular customer. "You don't look like the type of person who would be interested in these kind of things."
"And I'm not." I say, "It is for the old couple that live on the edge of the mountain. I'm just doing some shopping for them." A dark expression spreads itself on her pale face.
"Oh." Was all she managed to say, then she disappeared into the back room. When she came back she had an old wooden box. She placed it on the table and rang the cash register.
"Anything else?" She said the ring in her voice now gone.
"No, that is all." I say.
"That will be $50.00," She said. I handed her the cash, she looked at me like she wanted to say something really badly. "If I were you I would get out while I can." She said looking straight into my eyes.
"Nina I need you in the back." A bald man covered in tattoos said while peaking his head from the back door curtains.
"Coming." Nina said and left me there standing in disarray.

TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments:

Post a Comment